While the 60-day National Service Express Tour has come to a close, we hope that you’ll choose to listen to (by clicking on) our good ol’ Uncle Sam…
Category Archives: ACTION!
BREAKING… BREAKING… BREAKING…
This Friday, May 16th, U.S. Senator Christopher Dodd (D-CT) will introduce the AmeriCorps Act of 2008.
The AmeriCorps Act of 2008 will:
- Raise the education Eli Segal Education Award from $4,725 to $6,185 and raise the award each subsequent year to represent the average cost of tuition and required fees at a 4-year public university;
- Make the education award tax exempt;
- Restore the Corporation’s previous authority to partner with other Federal agencies to use national service as a strategy to carry out Departments’ priorities; and,
- Promote the Corporation for National and Community Service to Cabinet level status.
Since inception in 1994, AmeriCorps has encouraged over 540,000 citizens to volunteer, serve, and address the unmet needs of our nation. These citizens have given over 700,000,000 hours toward improving the lives of other Americans.
Your phone call to Washington is critical to ensuring this legislation passes, so please call your Senators today to urge them to become original co sponsors. The deadline is tomorrow, Thursday at 4:00pm EST.
It will only take 2 minutes to call. Here is what you need to do:
- Call the Capitol Operator at (202) 224-3121 to be connected to your Senators.
- Ask your Senators to be original co-sponsors of the AmeriCorps Act of 2008.
- To co-sponsor, interested offices should contact Mary Ellen McGuire with Senator Dodd’s office by email: MaryEllen_McGuire@help.senate.gov. Deadline for co-sponsors is tomorrow, Thursday at 4:00pm.
- Build power in numbers – ask two other people in your state to call your Senators, as well. Three voices are louder than just one!
Thanks for taking action and helping to grow AmeriCorps!
Please forward THIS LINK to a friend and check back for details on how you can help to further support the AmeriCorps Act of 2008 and make National Service a national priority!
Above: Last year’s winning AmeriCorps Video Contest submission…
Recently, AmeriCorps turned to its far-flung network of members and alums for help in recruiting the next class of AmeriCorps members by hosting its second YouTube-style video contest. Five finalists have been chosen and now the National Service Community is asked to VOTE TODAY for the top video in this year’s contest, which coincides with the second annual AmeriCorps Week.
The contest asked participants to create a 60-second spot answering the question “Why AmeriCorps?” Entries could address topics such as how AmeriCorps tackles some of America’s biggest challenges; what AmeriCorps means to you; and why someone should join AmeriCorps.
The grand prize is a volunteer vacation worth up to $5,000 courtesy of Travelocity through its Travel For Good Change Ambassadors program. Second prize is an iPod Shuffle, and third prize is an AmeriCorps Alums Prize Pack, both courtesy of AmeriCorps Alums. The five semifinalists will receive a free one-year membership from AmeriCorps Alums. Help choose which of the five finalist videos will win… VOTE TODAY!
The video contest is part of AmeriCorps Week, the national recognition and recruitment event taking place through Sunday, May 18th, aimed at engaging more Americans in service, saluting AmeriCorps members and alums for their impact, and thanking the partners that make AmeriCorps possible.
This afternoon, Voices for National Service sent an email encouraging supporters to call on their Congressional delegation to co-sponsor resolutions in both the House and the Senate to recognize the second annual AmeriCorps Week, slated for May 11-18, 2008.
Committed to growing support in Congress for AmeriCorps members, alumni, and the expansion of its network of programs, ServeNext.org strongly encourages its grassroots network to follow Voices for National Service’s lead and their specific strategy for appealing to elected officials to co-sponsor resolutions recognizing AmeriCorps Week (detailed below).
The AmeriCorps Week resolution in the Senate is being sponsored by U.S. Senator Chris Dodd (D-CT) and U.S. Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS) while the resolution in the House of Representatives is being sponsored by Congresswoman Doris Matsui (D-CA), Congressman Christopher Shays (R-CT), Congressman David Price (D-NC), and Congressman Todd Platts (R-PA).
If your elected officials is already listed, please call and thank them. If not, please call and ask them to co-sponsor their governing body’s resolution recognizing AmeriCorps Week. It will take less than 5 minutes!
Voices for National Service’s Action Steps for AmeriCorps Week:
1. Call the Capitol operator at 202-225-3121 to be connected to your congressional representatives.
2. Ask your elected official to co-sponsor the House or Senate AmeriCorps Week Resolution, honoring the accomplishments of AmeriCorps members.
3. To co-sponsor, interested offices should contact:
HOUSE – Jonathan Asher with Congressman Matsui’s office at 202-225-7163.
SENATE – Laura Schifter with Senator Dodd’s office at 202-224-2823.
Then, talk to 3 friends in your town and ask them to do the same so that you multiply your impact and make sure that your elected officials know that National Service needs to be a national priority. Thank you!